Saturday, July 27, 2013

Singing and Dancing in the Streets!

Wow. What a fun, unique experience we had on Saturday. Another of the Tias invited Jen and I to the annual celebration of the founding of her town this past Saturday. Though Jen had gone in previous years (and has told countless stories of her experience since!) this was my first time.

This particular Tia (and her cousin who is also a tia at FHC) is indigenous, raises cuy (guinea pig- a yummy treat here), travels 2 hours by bus (both ways) to get to work, is one of the kindest, most fun people I know. She has worked at FHC for 11+ years. Imagine all of the children she has loved and cared for at FHC!

The events of the day included: a welcome by Tia A., Tia M. (her cousin) and their family, a bowl of potato (?) soup alongside a number of random people (we were never formally introduced) in the home of a nearby neighbor of Tia A., a serenade by the guitar and accordion players as they practiced the song they would end up playing all day, an afternoon of "dress up" as we were loaned typical outfits (in this community this special clothing is only worn on special occasions) as well as special hair wraps, playful fun with the Tia's little nieces, a gulp of chicha (a fermented drink made of yuca/corn and saliva :) from a communal cup, about 45 min of singing and "dancing" (more like joyful stepping) in a circle with the Tia and a small group from her larger community, I was handed about 10 oranges to carry in a shawl on my back, and then the 3 hour procession with the rest of her community- singing and dancing to the same song- down the middle of the streets to the final gathering place. Mind you, Jen and I are the only "gringas" or white people in the entire community and we are about 6 inches to a foot taller than almost everyone around. We were quite the sight. Jen carried a chicken and money tied to it (apparently they have to bring the same chicken back to next year's celebration with even more money ) (I don't know what they do with it)). I made quick friends with some of the Tia's little nieces who took turns holding my hand throughout the entire procession. Once we arrived at the final gathering place, many other small sections of the community were dancing in their circles with their respective dress. On our arrival I was told to throw the oranges into the crowd and everyone scrambled to collect as many as they could (again... don't really know the significance of this...). We sang/danced there for awhile longer (all the while receiving many gawks, smiles, and confused stares). A snow covered volcano was in the distance and a rainbow appeared as if to put a blessing on the entire day/event. Though the party continued into the early morning hours, Jen and I had to leave to catch the last bus home.

I was struck countless times throughout the afternoon by the beauty of this place, the people, the traditions, the landscape. I recognized once again how blessed I am to have spent more than a year of my life here in Ecuador- all times combined. It's hard to believe I will be leaving in just a couple weeks. Many mixed emotions, but gratitude is a big one!
Preparing

Tia A's house

Almost ready! (we had to wear tights because we're much taller than the average Ecuadorian woman (or man! for that matter)

Tia A wrapping my hair


Cuy! (they call guinea pigs cuy because of the sound they make "cuy, cuy, cuy...")

Tia M. and her son. You will often see women carrying their babies on their backs like this. 

My new little friends!


Tia A.

Getting my groove on! haha

They took their roles very seriously :)

Jen and I with the tias from FHC

The Chicken!

We stopped traffic



Again... I love the height difference :)

Can you see the volcano??


With Tia A. 

With Tia M. 

Us Gringas!!

Amazing!!


This is how they serve chicha- the drink- just passing around a cup to any one who is thirsty :)




1 comment:

  1. This is so amazing! What an experience, I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete