As I look back over the last 10+ months that I've spent in Ecuador and the events leading up to my journey here, I can't help but be filled with thanks and awe at all that God has done. Though the list could go on without end, I will try to express in part all of my gratitude.
I am so thankful that...
- I serve a God who is with me wherever I go. Who knows every word on my tongue (no matter the language) before it is even uttered. Who is all loving, all wise, all powerful, filled with mercy and forgiveness, justice and grace. Who gives all good gifts. Who created all things. Who can redeem every situation for His glory. Who uses me, despite my countless failures, to show His love to those around me. What an amazing God!
- I have incredible family, friends, and church family who's faithful prayers, generous support, thoughtful cards, and genuine interest and care for me can never be fully repaid. It means so much to me to know all the support I have from home.
- I have been able to make such good friends here and meet people- literally from all over the world.
- I was able to witness a number of adoptions and see the tangible answer to so many people's prayers. I was reminded once again of the miracle of our own spiritual adoption. We can be called children of God!
- God provided far and above all that I needed financially to be able to come and serve here. Thank you once again to all who gave! I pray that God will receive all the glory for any good that has come from my service here.
- I experienced good health (except for a very few miserable days)
- I was never robbed or pick-pocketed!!
- I was able to learn the bus system :)
- God has given me the language ability to serve, navigate, and communicate easily in Spanish
- I had a number of visits from loved ones during my time here
- I was able to go home a couple times
- I was able to pray for and with precious girls who have been rescued from human trafficking
- I was able to sing worship songs along side girls who've experienced horrendous things- and see true joy in their eyes
- I had the pleasure of seeing incredible beauty in the people, places and animals of Ecuador
- I spent enough time here at the orphanage to have seen incredible progress and growth in the kids. Many who I knew as infants now recognize me and call me by name. "TIA KATHRYN". I've seen V. no longer need to be on oxygen- she's now walking, clapping, and smiling. I've seen M.- no longer need his trach- now breathing, talking, and running on his own. I've seen M.- learn how to walk and talk- no longer malnourished she's now chubby! :)
- I've seen God work in my own heart and life- giving me more of a desire and passion to pray for and be a part of the end of human trafficking.
- I have such a supportive, faithful, loving, thoughtful fiance who has stuck with me through the challenge of a long distance relationship!
- My computer survived the 10 months here! It was my connection to home, friends, family, Ryan.
There is so much more that I could say!!!
But before I end, one last story. As I was trying to figure out what to do with my life about 2 years ago- having left a very stressful, discouraging job- I had the opportunity to meet with a good friend of mine who is a life coach. One of the many helpful things that we talked about was the importance of having visual reminders of truths that God has taught us. In the Old Testament, God commanded the Israelites to set up monuments as a visual reminder of God's faithfulness and how he provided for them in that place. In the New Testament, we have communion. A visual tangible reminder of what God did for us on the cross. I like this concept because we are such a forgetful people. It's so easy to forget how God has worked or the faithfulness of his promises. Seeing that I so often struggle with fear and worry, Matthew 6 (the passage that talks about how God clothes the lilies and feeds the birds- so why should we worry about what to wear or eat etc.) became a favorite passage. I chose the image of birds to be my visual reminder of God's promise to take care of me, my reminder not to worry or fear. (vs 26- Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?). When I got to Ecuador, would you know that in my room, there was a framed picture on the wall of 5 little birds on a branch?! Even more fun, just about 3 weeks ago, a morning dove decided to build her nest in the window sill of our living room window of our apartment. A few days later, we discovered 2 little eggs there. The dove faithfully sat on her eggs for a little more than 2 weeks and just a couple days ago- the eggs hatched! It's been so fun to watch the whole process (and share it with the kiddos!! They loved coming up and visiting our baby birds!) and be reminded once again- God cares for me. He calls me not to fear but to trust him. I face a number of changes in the next few months. So many, many exciting ones, but at the same time- lots of change. Our family is changing! Each of my siblings and I are all getting married in the span of 7 months. My home is changing- I will be moving to Vermont. My ministry and career are changing- I will be looking for a new job. Joining a new church. Making new friends. There is lots of change ahead. But this time I know and have been once again reminded of God's faithfulness, goodness, and constant presence. Thanks be to Him!
Oh Kathryn! I am humbled and blessed to be a part of this amazing story of your life. Those pictures of the birds are such a testimony of God's faithfulness. I give Him all honor and glory and praise for His hand on you -- on us -- now and in the future!
ReplyDeleteWith so much love,
Lisa