Extreme Response is the organization through which I was able to raise support and come to Ecuador. One of their ministries that I'd heard a lot about, but never been able to see, is to build a home for one of the most needy families that work at the local garbage dump (where I used to volunteer when I was here early in early 2012). They do it in partnership with the family (i.e. the family helps in the construction process) so that the family really takes ownership of it. Churches from the US and elsewhere help to fund the project and one even comes down for about 7-10 days to help complete the construction and set up.
We heard that the big reveal was to take place on a Saturday and we got permission to come and witness the exciting event. The family was taken on an outing the morning of, so all the final preparations could be made. Though the family knew they were going to get the keys to their new house that day, what they didn't know was that the house would be completely furnished as well. What an emotional moment to witness this family so overwhelmed with gratitude! Pastor Jose gave a brief devotional and charge to the family- reminding them of God's goodness and care for them, encouraging them to always teach and read God's word, and to keep the home clean like it was given to them. We also prayed together over the home and the family. Such a precious moment.
I was able to talk briefly with the couple before we left and the husband explained to me, "I never dreamed I would own a new home of my own!" The mom also expressed that they wouldn't be able to sleep for a few nights from all the excitement. You may think that the home is still rather rustic, however considering that the family had no electricity before and that their home was literally made from scrap metal and wood, to them it seemed like a gorgeous mansion!
 |
| There was even a huge bus! (though they didn't use a megaphone and shout "Move that bus") |
 |
| The family |
 |
| Entering their own home for the very first time. |
 |
| Getting the grand tour |
No comments:
Post a Comment