Thursday, May 2, 2013

Transformation and Change

As you know, every Thursday and Friday morning I go with my team (4 other women) to visit about 20 girls at a private foundation for under-aged girls who've been rescued from sex trafficking. Over the past few months we've seen lots of changes not only in the girls, but also in the foundation itself. Sadly, due to the government's recent decision to take over all private foundations dealing with girls who have come out of trafficking, the foundation is set to close in late June. The girls are unaware of this, but are being prepared to leave the foundation, some being returned to their families... others still have no where to go. Some are returning to situations that are MUCH less than ideal, simply because there are no good options.

I have struggled greatly with the injustice of all of this. These precious girls (ranging in age from 13 to 17- some of whom are mothers of toddlers) have been victims of horrendous acts. They have lost their innocence, childhood, freedom, family, security, emotional health, and physical health (for some) and much more. Though the foundation is not a Christian organization, they have been very welcoming and have allowed our team to share openly about Christ, to give out Bibles, to read it together with the girls, to sing worship songs together. The foundation was doing many good things to help give the girls a new start. How devastating that a good thing is being taken away.

There is hope and good news though. Our team has been planning and in the process of opening our own home for the girls. There are still many steps to take and challenges to overcome, but we are hopeful! Please take the time to read the details of this home at my friend's blog (she will eventually be the house Director). Also PLEASE PRAY with us for the girls- that they would find safety, have wisdom to make good decisions, be surrounded by other Christians and godly examples, to find true healing, peace, identity, and life in Christ. Please also pray for our team to have wisdom, favor with the government, to find a location, for the needed monthly funds to run the home, for the needed staff, for God's direction.

To give you a picture of a typical day with the girls....
Last Friday, our theme was transformation. We opened by singing "Trading my Sorrows". I then gave a short devotional on 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if any man is in Christ he is a new creation. The old has gone, the new has come." Also talked about Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..." and Isaiah 43:18-19 "Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing!...I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." I shared that although God does not promise us a life without pain/sorrow, he promises to be with us in and through them. He promises to give us a new hope, perspective, joy, and peace. He begins to transform our lives, hearts, minds, priorities, thoughts, loves etc.

I stood back in amazement as I watched the girls find these verses in their Bibles, becoming ever more familiar with God's Word and eager to read it. What a blessing to be a small part of God's ongoing transformation of these precious ones.

We then carried the theme over into something fun and taught the girls how to make balloon animals, transforming an ordinary balloon into a fun toy/decoration. We finished by making butterflies out of construction paper and writing on our butterflies how we hoped to be different in the future. All the while I was praying that God would truly do a work of transformation in their lives.

Amidst all the activities the following happened as well...

  • We learned that E. was really named R. and we were asked to no longer use the name "E" with her.  I assume that "E" was the name that was given to her by her pimp. 
  • M shared with me that she was very angry last night and didn't know how to express it...so she hit herself over and over again, to the point of causing bruises. She said she was full of rage and wanted to pull her hair out or hit her head against a wall. All this hidden inside a girl who when we are there is so peaceful, smiley, kind, and gentle. Made me recognize once again the deep pain that lies just beneath the surface. We talked about how to express anger and other emotions in positive ways i.e. journaling- she loves to write and says she's filled more than a couple journals in her time at the foundation.
  • I had a tickle war with a different "M". A shy, quiet girl- comes out of her shell when hugged and tickled. I had to run fast to get away :) I love to hear them laugh.
  • Many were super scared that the balloons would pop and cringed at every twist of the balloon animal creations. 
  • The guard even came in, wanting to make a balloon animal. 
  • "J" shared with me her new favorite passage of scripture, Psalm 139. Says she reads it every night before bed. Pray that she comes to know and believe how truly special she is and what a treasured creation! That she might know that God loves her and knows her intimately- every aspect of her life. 
Each one has become so dear to me. It is hard to face the reality that I will likely not see many of them again after tomorrow. I will be going home for a couple weeks to visit friends and family. The foundation staff has told us that more than half the girls will likely be leaving during that time. Though I will be back by the end of May, it is still unclear how many girls will still be there and what will be taking place with the foundation. 

In all of this, I am comforted and driven to pray harder to our God who "works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed" Psalm 103:6 and "is a refuge for the oppressed a stronghold in times of trouble" Psalm 9:9.

Lord, continue your work of transformation. Come quickly! 



No comments:

Post a Comment