Hello all!
I feel as though every blog post I write, I'm apologizing for how infrequently they come! But once again, I am so sorry it has been so long. I find that it is so hard to put into words what all happens in a given day, not to mention (ahem!) in almost 3 months. You have been faithful to support and pray for me, and I cannot say the same about my communication with you. I am so sorry!!
Here's a
brief update of some of the highlights from the past few months
- February-
- Ryan came to visit! It was wonderful to be able to share with him what my life and ministry look like here in Ecuador. It was his first time out of the country- so lots of new experiences and adjustments. We enjoyed spending time here with the kids at the orphanage (complete with a Valentines Day party), seeing some of the basic touristy places, going to the day care at the garbage dump where I served last year, meeting with friends who are missionaries here to talk about future ministry opportunities, going to church, spending time with friends, taking a hike to some waterfalls and seeing tons of hummingbirds, as well as just spending time together in person!
- I also began doing some informal counseling. One of the tias at the orphanage shared that her teenage daughter was going through some difficult issues, and I offered to meet with her on an occasional basis. That has been a great opportunity for further ministry and use of my Biblical counseling training. Please pray that God continues to give me wisdom and insight as I work with D.
- March
- Mom and Dad came to visit! My mom had had the opportunity to come visit me here in Ecuador last year (along with my brother Eric), but it was my Dad's first time in Ecuador. It was so fun seeing them spend time with the kids here and seeing their hearts break and prayers increase for these precious children. They had opportunity to meet many of my friends, escape from Quito for a few days in Mindo (one of my favorite places here)- for more hummingbirds, hammocks, chocolate tours, and even zip-lining!! One of the most significant times for me, was having my mom join our team as we visited the girls at the foundation. It was International Women's Day and the girls had planned a very elaborate presentation for us (full of dancing, singing, dramas, etc.). My mom was even able to share some things with the girls as well (as I translated). Since none of my other friends or family members have been able to meet these precious girls (who have stolen my heart!), it was very meaningful for my mom to be able to join me there and see this other significant aspect of my ministry here.
- Although I thoroughly enjoyed the visits, it was hard being out of my normal routine and being on the constant go as tour-guide :) I also somehow got very sick during both visits (Ryan's and M&D's)- with horrible 24 hour stomach bugs. So, it was great to be able to get away for a few days mid-March to the coast and enjoy the beach with some friends. It was my first time to the beach in Ecuador and I was amazed once again at the diversity of Ecuador's landscape/climates etc. The coast is obviously at sea level so it was easier to breathe, much warmer, and somewhat humid.
- I again got very sick for over a week- with a bad sinus infection, fever etc. I was totally out of it and went through a very low point emotionally. I was tired of getting sick, feeling useless, feeling home-sick, and recognizing that I had hit the 6-month mark of my time here. I began to notice that the newness of everything had worn off, and I was struggling with some of the cultural differences and challenges of living abroad. Simple things like public transportation, timeliness (or lack thereof!!!), and the inability to control how much time it takes to do things- really began to bother me. Things have improved once again- but I share these things so that you know my reality of dealing with culture shock/adjustments.
- Easter- I was so thankful that I was finally well enough to get out of the house and worship with friends at church on Easter. This was the second year in a row that I celebrated Easter here in Ecuador. It was a great day- full of joy, celebration, worship, and good friends. We enjoyed a great pot-luck outside after church. Since I had been sick, I didn't get to do much with the kids at Easter, but we did sneak in some egg-dying.
- April (thus-far)
- Many of the babies got very sick (notice a theme here??) with pneumonia so there were lots of doctors appointments to help out with (or filling in for the tia that went on the appointment).
- I was part of an evangelistic flash-mob!! Super fun. A friend of ours from church organized the event and the first weekend in April, we learned and practiced on Sat. then preformed it twice on Sunday in a public park. The event also included a the Lifehouse drama- Everything, someone giving their testimony, a choir sang, and we were able to talk with and pray for anyone who was interested afterwards. The dance was super fun to be a part of because it was composed of about 70 ppl (Ecuadorian, American, European) of all ages. What fun to worship the Lord in such a unique way.
- I've helped with a lot of computer projects for the orphanage recently- scrapbooks, translating written interviews of tias that will be entered into a new Tia-sponsorship program, uploading and organizing photos (a constant project!).
- We had an all-day planning meeting last Saturday with our Casa Adalia team. We continue to pray, plan, and prepare to open a residential home for girls who've been rescued from trafficking. God has been leading and directing our plans in a new way as we have seen a need for a house for girls who are 18 and older. We continue to go through the legal procedures to open a home for under-aged girls, but do to government changes and requirements this has become a bit more challenging. In the mean time as we wait for governmental approval etc, we are making plans to start working with girls who are 18 and older, as there are less restrictions. We also recently have had the opportunity to work with one such girl who left the foundation because she turned 18, but after going home, became at risk again for re-entering trafficking. We were able to provide some temp. housing. I was meeting with her a few times and doing some counseling. Some things have changed recently, and I would just ask that you would pray for her. Pray that God would protect her, guide her, and surround her with godly counsel and love.





 |
| Some of the Casa Adalia Team |
 |
| Flash Mob! |
 |
| H.- a 3 year old boy, with Autism, who recently had surgery on his eyes to remove cataracts. He has restored vision in one of his eyes! Praise God. |
 |
| CUTENESS!! |
Sooooo thankful for you!
ReplyDelete