Sunday, November 11, 2012

First Week Back

I like lists... so I'll summarize my first week back in bullets.
  • Kinda a lonely start since I arrived a couple days before Jen returned, and was literally alone at the orphanage (since the other volunteer from the Netherlands was away for the weekend). I went to church, expecting to see many of my friends, but due to a long weekend, many were taking advantage of time to travel. My internet was also giving me troubles. God was telling me... "You may feel alone, but I will never leave you nor forsake you. Your focus and fulfillment must be in me alone as you come to serve my children." Not an easy first lesson, but definitely an important one.
  • Lots of meetings in the first few days with each of the organizations I'll be involved in to clarify my roles and responsibilities. At the orphanage, I'll be organizing planned activity time 2x week in each of the houses at the orphanage in order to help guide the volunteers in their time w/ the kids, organize and plan monthly birthday parties and fieldtrips for the kids, teach a weekly Bible class, teach English to 3 of the older girls (ages 6-8) (one is being prepared for adoption to the states in January!), organize the Sunday School schedule, etc. At the program for the girls who've been trafficked, I'll meet every Wednesday for a planning mtg. for our Friday program w/ the girls. My involvement at the program at the garbage dump is still being determined.
  • I was able to meet all of the new kiddos at the orphanage. About 5 new infants and 2 new toddlers. A new baby was even brought to the orphanage this week, only about 14 days old, who'd been found on the street. Was able to feed her a bottle one night. Such a powerful moment to look into the face of one of God's little ones, and thank Him for bringing her to a safe and loving place. God knows the plans he has for her... plans to prosper her and give her a hope and a future (Jer. 29:11). Another child was adopted this week, one that I spent some time with while I was here previously. His forever family lives here in Quito and they quickly bonded with their precious new son.


(Some of you may remember praying for this little guy. He used to have a trach. Now he's breathing on his own, feeding himself, and walking on his own! I almost cried when I saw him walking by himself!!!)
  • Had some great down time with the kids, simply enjoying playing outside, dance parties, cooking class, and lots of hugs and kisses.

  • It was great to meet new friends this week as well as reconnect with old ones. What fun to be able to tell people I'm back- a testimony to all God has provided for me to return!!
  • Even was able to go to a day long seminar/conference on Leadership that was held at my church with my team from Extreme Response.
  • Went to the girls program on Friday morning with members from our team, only to find that they weren't there! I was told that this was highly unusual since they are usually good at communicating any change of plans. Though it was somewhat disappointing, I was glad for some extra time on the bus to get to know my teammates better. God has blessed me tremendously and surrounded me with amazing people who's hearts are set on serving God in all they do.
  • Finally, finished off the week with a Harvest party, complete with costumes, bobbing for apples, pumpkin carving, donuts, and lots of good friends. So fun!


I was a washing machine/dryer :)
  • Oh... and there was an undesired visit from this guy!!! Not cool!!

Please pray for me this week as I get into the routine! Pray that God would be my source of strength and joy. My love and prayers to each of you <3

No comments:

Post a Comment