In the midst of the constant activity, it can sometimes be difficult (mentally and emotionally) to take time to reflect on all that God has been doing in, through, and around me. I have begun to think of Psalm 46:10 ("Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth") differently now as I recognize not only how challenging it can be sometimes to find time to be still, but also the effort it takes to KNOW. We don't automatically know anything. It takes time, deep conversations, questions, shared experience to get to really know another person. It takes vulnerability, honesty, humility to receive correction etc. And yet, the time spent reflecting is always beneficial.
I had a great Saturday morning last week. I found some time to be alone here in the apartment, spent some time in prayer, read over some journal entries I'd written before and leading up to my coming here to Ecuador, read some letters I'd received from friends and family at home (thank you growth group, prayer meeting friends, Mom, Dad, and Grandpa!!), and simply thanked God for the faithful prayers, support, and love from all of you! Thank you for continuing to journey with me as I seek to follow the Lord here in Ecuador. Here's the latest...
- V's adoption Party- V spent about a week at home with her new adoptive parents, to ensure that the match would be a good one, before we had the official goodbye party. She came back, super smiley and hardly wanted to be held by anyone other than her mom or dad! I'd say the bonding time was successful :-) As I've said before, it was so exciting to witness the joy of this newly formed family! What a princess!! I loved the dress her parents brought her in- they were so proud!
- Mindo is a town about 2.5 hours north west of Quito. What a beautiful place! Went with Jen, Jen's Dad (who was visiting for the week), and Isabel. We went on a 13 cable zip lining adventure, bird watching (saw toucans, tons of hummingbirds, and many other cool birds), butterfly farm, and enjoyed relaxing in hammocks at our hostel as we listened to the rushing river. Such a peaceful couple of days. I was amazed at God's beautiful handiwork and creativity in his creation.
- Easter weekend was very memorable. I went with two new volunteers (Tracy and Bart from Idaho- who will be here for 6 months volunteering at the orphanage) to the traditional Good Friday parade in Old Town Quito. It was a very sobering event as people reinacted the different stations of the crucifixion and some carried crosses of their own, demonstrating the sorrrow over their sin and resolve to follow Christ- some even intentionally inflicting pain on themselves. I still never understood the KKK looking costumes...We also had Fanesca- a soup that Ecuadorians eat around holy week- made of 12 different beans/grains in a creamy broth. Very heavy and filling, but good. Easter day, we went to church in the morning. Though it was good to celebrate here in Ecuador, it was the first real time that I missed home and the traditional sunrise service, Easter hymns, brass instruments, breakfast and resurrection celebration at New Village! (not to mention Mom's good cooking :) After the service we went to a professional soccer game here (big ol' entrance fee of $2.50!) and though we got caught in some rain, it was still fun. Came back and did an Easter egg hunt with the kiddos. Such fun!
- There's lots of good changes coming for many of the kids here at the orphanage. There are four who will likely be adopted in the next 3 months or so. Another will soon be reunited with her grandmother and siblings. "A" will go to a different orphage where her older sister is living and hopefully the two will be adopted together in the future. I've helped a couple times in the past weeks taking "A" for visits to see her sister at the other Catholic-run orphanage here in Quito, so the two girls can continue bonding and "A" can adjust to the new home, tias, and children. She will move there permanently in a few weeks. Though it can be hard to see the kids go (for selfish reasons :) it is so exiciting to know that they will be with their forever families and in homes that can give them the individual love, attention, and care they need.
(though "A" doesn't look too happy in the picture, she loves all the attention she gets from her sister and the other older girls at the home. She is still absorbing all the newness and always has a good time playing w/ her sister)
- Choir- We had our first concert last Sunday after church! We sang at "Mitad del Mundo"- the equator monument. Sundays are busy days at the monument so there were many people just visiting there who stopped to hear us sing in the big ampitheater there. This weekend we plan to sing in a cathedral in Old Town Quito on Saturday and on Sunday at our church.
- Lastly, but most on my heart, I have been exploring different options to return to Ecuador and serve for a longer period of time. I'm considering a few different options such as going on staff with Extreme Response and serving for a year at the Zambiza dump, where I've been volunteering every Friday morning. I'd help the pastor and his wife (Jose and Teresa Jimenez) who work there, doing social work with the garbage facility employees, helping with the women's group that Teresa has recently started, and possibly doing some counseling and the like. I'm also exploring the option of returning here to For His Children but having a more structured role (which is still to be determined). I have to meet with some of the administrative staff in the next few days to discuss the possibilities. Please pray that God would guide me and that I would be attentive to his directing. It is very likely that in any situation where I'd return, I would need to raise support in order to continue serving in these capacities. Please join me in praying that God would meet these needs, if this be his will.



Kathryn, I marvel at what God has done in and through your life in the past few months. It is gone by too fast, but the Lord has packed in many treasures. I will continue to pray for His direction and leading!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Lisa
Kathryn- I just read your recent blog. I love to hear you describe what you've had the privilege of doing, seeing, experiencing, learning. It seems to be an amazing blend of work, service, worship, rest, relating, living. Praying for our God to guide you in decisions about the next 'chapter'. Savor your final days in this 'chapter'.
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited we'll get to see you this summer at Nana's. :)
Love ya -
MB