Saturday, March 24, 2012

March Highlights

March has been a full month... thus the inactivity of my blog! Here are a few highlights in no specific order...

  • Isabel and I took a $50 round trip flight to Cuenca, a town about 10 hours south if driving. While there we hiked through one of the National Parks (Cajas), walked around the town, went to a free modern dance performance at a local university, got lots of yummy foods (did you know you can get a "meal of the day" which includes juice, soup, entre and dessert for $3!), shopped at a few of the markets, I experienced some altitude sickness :(, Isabel lost a shoe, and we accidentally stole some bananas from the random couple that gave us a ride back to town from the park (long story :). It was a memorable trip!

  • I have been able to go on a couple home visits with the orphanage social worker. They have proved very interesting and I've enjoyed getting to see a bit of what social work looks like here. I've also had the opportunity to help her with a few documentation projects and thus have read through all the kids' files. It was a sobering job, finally getting a fuller picture of what each of these children have experienced. Many have been abandoned either at the hospital at birth, others literally found in shoe boxes at construction sites or by the side of the road. Some have been removed from abusive or neglectful homes.
  • My Mom and brother, Eric, were able to come for a week long visit! We had a wonderful time and I was so thrilled to be able to share this experience with them. I kept them busy with a balance of sight-seeing, playing with the kids, and getting to know some of my friends here. While here, we went to Otavalo- the big market place, Mitad del Mundo (Equator monuments), helped take a few of the babies to get their immunizations, had another cooking class with the kids, celebrated mom's birthday, Eric went to horse therapy with a few of the kids, took some of the babies in the pool, had some great heart-to-heart talks, and tried to get some rest in between all the activity :-)

  • While Mom and Eric were here, one of our kids here at FHC met her adoptive parents for the first time. The parents are Ecuadorians and live only a couple hours away. They came every day for about a week and used our living room area to get to know the child, play together, eat together, and get to know V's typical schedule, temperament, and habits etc. V quickly bonded with her new parents and seemed very happy to be getting all the attention! This was the first child for these new parents. This Monday will be her official goodbye party, and she will leave the orphanage for good. It was quite the emotional experience, even for us as outsiders to witness the joy of this newly formed family!

  • Also this month, one of the orphanage founders, Clark Vaughn, passed away after a year long battle with ALS. He was only in his 60's. He and his wife, Melinda, had been in Florida for the past few months, due to his quickly declining health. Melinda continues on as the orphanage director, even from the states. Please pray for her and her two adult children, as they mourn his loss and celebrate his life. You can read more of his story here: http://www.forhischildren-ecuador.org/about-us/clark-vaughn-tribute/
  • Jen got back from a month away in the states. We missed her! Now we are again enjoying spontaneous dance parties, catching up with funny stories, and spending time with the kids.
  • I've begun volunteering at the local Garbage Dump that I wrote about in a previous blog post. I was able to talk with some of the staff from Extreme Response (the Christian organization that is working there) and discovered that they could use some help. I have committed to going every Friday morning for a few hours to play with the kids, teach a basic English lesson to about 15 3-5 year olds, and help out with a Mother's group. Extreme Response is trying to provide the women not only with practical instruction on child-rearing and housekeeping, but also artistic skills so they can supplement their income by selling craft items. I've gone twice now and am really enjoying the opportunity to minister to these precious, humble people.

  • I went with the toddlers on a field trip this past week to a pizzeria. They had a lot of fun playing on the playground outside, seeing how pizzas are made, and then going to the local mall to walk around for a bit. It was great to be able to take them out and expose them to different experiences.

  • I have been reflecting on and truly touched by the words of - what to me, is a new song- "Lamb of God" by Jason Upton. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srXmj3zYwY8) The words to the chorus have new meaning, as I spend time with children who have been rejected by their own parents. I long for them to know the God who truly knows them by their name; knows them inside and out and will graciously give them a true and living hope if they put their faith and trust in HIM. I am blown away knowing that God knows ME- my name- despite the ways that I have doubted, denied, and sinned against Him. How great he is and worthy of our Praise!

What are you praising God for this month??

1 comment:

  1. Kathyrn, love this update. It is amazing to see what God is doing in you and through you. That's what I am praising Him for right now!

    ReplyDelete