Monday, March 5, 2012

Hipoterapia (Equine Therapy)



Last week I was able to go with three of the children to "horse therapy."They go every Tuesday. One of the girls is 7 years old and has autism. Another little girl is 4 years old, was severly malnourished as a baby and has recently learned how to walk and even today, her feeding tube was taken out. She's making lots of progress. The third child is less than a year old (I think) and he has down syndrome. It was quite the sight to see each of them on the horses! Especially the baby :) I was able to ride one of the horses w/ the four year old sitting in front of me. The staff help to place the child in different positions on the horse to improve the child's balance, muscle tone, self confidence, relaxation, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment