Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sad Goodbyes

If you've spent any time with me here in Ecuador or if you've heard any of the stories of my experience here, you'll know that I'm given the great opportunity of meeting people from literally all over the world. Given the fact that I attend an international church, we have groups coming to visit the orphanage from all over the United States and Canada, volunteers come to serve at FHC from all over... I've met many wonderful people. I also interact with many people each day- the children, tias, volunteers, staff at FHC, my Casa Adalia team members, the girls themselves, the staff at the foundation where the girls live etc. etc. Though it is a wonderful experience to share life with so many people, it also means many, many goodbyes all the time.

Summer months here are particularly filled with goodbyes since so many people (including myself) are here temporarily and many who have been here longer term, decide that summer is an easier time to transition to wherever God is calling them next. So the season of goodbyes has begun... some expected some unexpected.

Our Casa Adalia team. Katie in the middle. 
Our dear friend and Casa Adalia teammate, Katie (and her family) have recently completed three years serving in Ecuador and have now left for the states where Katie's husband will be serving as a pastor in a church in Kansas. Katie has been an incredible encourager, support, and friend during my time here in Quito. She was also the one who informed me of the work she was involved in with ministering to trafficked girls and super influential in allowing me to get involved with the Casa Adalia team. I've learned so much from seeing her passion to understand the issues of human trafficking, her heart for the girls to find God's healing, her desire to inform the church of how they can be a part of the solution, and simply her love and care for the girls. Thanks for all you've done Katie! You will be missed.

We've also had a tragic, unexpected goodbye here at For His Children. Just over a week ago, our youngest baby girl, Isabela,  passed away suddenly. She was a healthy baby girl, almost 3 months old, and sadly died of SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. It has been a great shock to all of us here at FHC, especially the Tias that were on shift when it occurred. Please especially pray for Tia B., Tia A., and Tia M. as they process their grief and feelings of guilt.

My heart was saddened of course by the loss, but more so for the grief that the Tias have experienced, and the fact that the baby's mother was unable/chose not to come. For a number of reasons, they were unable to do a funeral service here at the home. There were many legal processes that needed to be accomplished in order for FHC to be able to bury little Isabela. Because Ecuadorians do not embalm the dead, they had to take her body directly from the morgue to the burial site. All of that had to be done rather quickly when we finally got the legal permission to take the child, and because of that, many people, including myself, were unable to attend the burial.

I thought it was important not only to recognize Isabela's life but also to give some closure to all those who knew and cared for her. I offered to organize a memorial service here at FHC. So this past Tuesday, I had 3 time slots throughout the day so that the Tias, staff, and/or volunteers could come drop-in when they were leaving or coming for their different shifts. I had some verses that I read, we prayed together, wrote letters/prayers/memories and shared some tears.



Also, this past Friday, was our last time going to visit the girls at the foundation since it is closing next week. At first, we had been told that we were not allowed to tell the girls that it was our last time coming. This was more frustrating for me than anything! I had a hard time understanding how that could be helpful for them after all of the losses they've had. They need to learn how to process goodbye's, to express themselves, and to see how others say goodbye well. We were also not allowed to leave any photos of our team for safety reasons. 

Our time with them was good. Debbie shared Proverbs 3:5-6 with the girls- repeating it for added emphasis and asking them what they understood it to mean. She also prayed over them the blessing from Ephesians 3:14-21...
"When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen."

We painted picture frames. Again it made me sad that I could not take a group picture to share their beautiful faces with each of you. I did get them to sign the matte of my picture frame so that I will have some of their names in their own handwriting. We ended by having a big ice-cream sundae party. Many had never had an ice-cream sundae. We invited the staff to join us as well. As we sat there, I looked around the room- silent now as everyone was fully enjoying their creations. I tried to memorize each face, pray for each girl, try to imagine the life they've had and the future that waits for them as they leave the confines of that place. My heart aches for them to know God and walk with Him. To experience his powerful healing, his abounding love, his limitless grace. 

In the end, one of the staff from the foundation did announce to the girls that it was our last time visiting them. She thanked us for coming faithfully and being with the girls. She also encouraged the girls to share if they liked as well. Many shared their thanks and appreciation. One of the girls I've become closest with (M.), and one who has shown great maturity and leadership skills, shared her thanks for each of us. Then with tears, she specifically thanked me, acknowledging that we had a special connection and that she appreciated my friendship and care. That got me going. I cried because I do not know if I will ever see her again. I cried because I long so much for her to be safe. I cried because I had the amazing opportunity to be used of God to touch even just one life. 

We later hugged and said goodbye to each girl and I shared with them strengths I saw in each one. M. came back and handed me a note as well as a funny stuffed duck that she had made. I feel the duck is a great image. Like the "ugly duckling", many hear about victims of human trafficking and are scared away by the messiness, pain, and ugliness of the issue. The stuffed duck may not serve much of a purpose for me, it may not be all that lovely to look at, but because I know the story of the one who made it, because my heart has been broken for her and the many others like her, it is special for me. 

Please continue to pray for the girls as they are either moved to other foundations, sent back home, or sent to other family members. Pray that they  might find safety, people who they can trust and that truly care about them. Pray that they might "Trust in the Lord with all their hearts and not depend on their own understanding. In all their ways acknowledge Him that He will direct their paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)






1 comment:

  1. Oh break my heart, Kathryn. Praying for you and all the needs!

    ReplyDelete