My bags are still being packed, unpacked, and repacked, trying to figure out what to bring as I prepare to leave for Ecuador one more time. I will be leaving next Tuesday on an early flight to Quito.
I have had some time recently to reflect on this past year and consider all that God has done to bring me to this point. It excites me to see the changes that He has made in me- redeeming me from a place of discouragement, fear, and insecurity as I left my job at the mental health clinic almost exactly a year ago. He has helped me to expand my vision of how He can use me. He has taught me to trust Him, knowing that He knows my heart, thoughts, and abilities far more than I do (for He created and gave them to me). He has taught me about His goodness as my all loving, faithful Heavenly Father who has adopted me as His child, regardless of my wayward heart and "special needs". He has reminded me once again, that if I obey Him by taking even a small step of faith in obedience to Him, that He will bless it. And He has shown me His love tangibly through the prayers, financial support, words of encouragement, and love from all of you! I give Him praise.
Even in the past couple of weeks, God has blessed me with many unexpected gifts of all kinds. I do not think my heart could be more full.
So I go with a great sense of anticipation, once again, of what God will continue to do in and through me. We've been studying the attributes of God every Sunday at church since the beginning of the summer, so I've been meditating on God's goodness, sovereignty, complete knowledge, great love, righteous wrath, power, nearness, holiness, everlasting presence, wisdom, mercy, grace, and triune nature. I have to fill my mind with truth, because as I go, I also face many uncertainties and realities which can cause my human heart to fear. Every time I'm in Ecuador I'm more aware of spiritual warfare, a sense of heaviness and darkness. I will regularly (probably daily) be interacting with issues of abuse, neglect, extreme poverty, and brokenness. Though those issues are also realities in the United States, they are often more hidden from our daily lives. I also face physical challenges as I go to an area that is 9200 feet above sea level. The lack of oxygen often causes shortness of breath, occassional headaches, and fatigue. I have to be more careful with what I eat, thoroughly washing foods so as to avoid parasites. I have to be more cautious in terms of my safety- there are frequent incidents of pick-pocketing and occassional muggings. Public transportation can also be taxing, as it can take much longer to arrive at your destination on public buses. Simply the pace of life will be much busier. And though I've been given general descriptions and ideas of what my responsibilities may be when I arrive, these things always change.
I covet your prayers in these areas as well as the obvious difficulty of being away from family and friends for such a long time, especially during the holidays. All visitors are welcome as are notes from home! :)
My mailing address will be: Kathryn Musser
Corporación Para Sus Niños
Casilla 17-08-8545
Quito, Ecuador S. A.
Countless thanks for joining me in this journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment