Monday, February 6, 2012

Visit to the Garbage Dump

Extreme Response (www.extremeresponse.org) is an incredible Christian organization that is working here in Quito with the people who work at the local Garbage Dump. Isabel, my roommate and I, joined the group that is down from Ohio on their visit to the dump on Monday. It was an extremely humbling experience, not only to observe what the individuals have to deal with who work at the dump, but the incredible work that Extreme Response is doing to minister to the individuals who work there and their families. We were given a tour of the facilities (walking along an overlook area of the dump) then played with the children in the day care briefly. ER provides day care for their children up to the age of 5, a medical and dental clinic at extremely reduced cost (or for free depending on ability to pay), Bible studies, home visits, providing basic needs for those living in the poorest conditions, a mom's group, education etc.
Here are some of my reflections on the visit....
A sour smell fills the air
Penetrating nostrils
Mounds of garbage, filth, the discarded
Piles under a canopy
Cast aside from sight.
I stand above, looking down
A place of privilege and distance
While those below, in mechanical movements
Sort through bottles, scraps, and metal
Like ants scattered by the yellow machine.
In family groups, along they work
Men and women, young and old.
Day after day, from dawn till dusk
A two hour bus ride to an eight hour shift
Like generations before, they come to earn a meager wage.
It is the family business.
The children play next door
Running, laughing, climbing, crying
Just like any other,
But outside, under cover
Their parents struggle to find another
Scrap that will translate to money for supper.
There is filth and shame
Disgrace and exhaustion....
I turn and think of how I'd appear spiritually without Christ.
Covered with the filth of my sin, shame and disgrace in the presence of God.
I'd have nothing to offer- just the rubbish and scaps that are my "righteous acts."
Cast me not aside from your presence Oh, Lord,
I humble myself in your sight.
You are HOLY and I have nothing to offer apart from your GIFT
Of forgiveness and new life.
In you, I find myself cleansed, accepted, renewed- no longer in the spiritual dump.
(I taught them how to do a "FISH FACE" ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my Kathryn. Your photos and words make me feel like I'm there. Thank you for taking me on this journey with you. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the fish faces!!!!
    The children are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos and the poem, really made me see what you saw. Praying for you and the people there. What a great experience you are having.

    ReplyDelete